Thursday, January 31, 2013

My defense





Ok when I finished reading your post I must admit I thought man he makes a pretty good argument. So like the Bereans I went to see if this was the who picture ( and please except this  I’m looking for truth here not arguing with you ( much as I enjoy a good discussion)  and I believe I’m capable of changing my position if proven wrong, and I hope you are to). So I would like to know how you would react to these verses which I think support my former statements.
But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord:

But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.
There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

Now that not the staging list that you produced however some of the verses you quoted seem to me to be more against then for “scrambling” as you put it.

¶ Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.
Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.
The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.
Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency.
But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment.

He says right there he permits this things not commands them and then as I quoted before
For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.

Now I concede do to what we have discussed that marriage to avoid fornication is a legitimate reason but the verses you’ve shown me seem to be more along the lines of Is two people are in love they should get married let they are tempted as opposed to  “Quick! Get married before you do something wrong !!”  Now to try a different angle of attack, Christ had this to say on a related subject.
And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.
¶ Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

Now before anyone thinks that I’ve flown off the deep end let me explain where I’m going with these verses. Someone once said “at some point God’s going to ask for your motorcycle even if its not a motorcycle” paraphrase. What he was saying is God’s going to ask you for anything that’s your Idle the thing that is precious to you. And if you give it to him he may or may not take it away from you, Abraham and Isaac for example. Many cultures have made marriage/love a god. I think what Jesus is saying there is you need to be ready to give God anything he asks for. He hast to be number one in your life. Now you could say “yeah well God asks some very few people not to marry but its not going to be me” and your probably right, but you’ve missed the point. Your goal in life should be God. Not I know that God wants everyone to get married so I’m going to do it as fast as I can! Now I know a guy vary closely will call him Steve and he really wanted to get marred so he set out to and he try Ho he tried and all he managed to accomplish was to vary VARY nearly marry the wrong person despite this he continued actively looking for someone but couldn’t seem to find one he actually clicked with well it wasn’t until he was 25 and had kind of cooled off on marriage the a girl quite miraculously appeared and even though they disliked each other initially with a year I believe they were marred and now have 5 beautiful children!  To summarize marriage is a wonderful thing and Children are a blessing from the Lord . But your younger years are a blessing too “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven” and we need to Glorify God with them!
¶ Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, while the evil days come not, nor the years draw nigh, when thou shalt say, I have no pleasure in them;
While the sun, or the light, or the moon, or the stars, be not darkened, nor the clouds return after the rain

5 comments:

  1. I am still bending my mind around this one, but please feel free to post more.

    P.S:hmmmm....is it bacon?! :D just jking

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is bothering me. Can you give a hint? We can't just leave it like this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rennuke, Thank you for your reply to my post: http://vonstakes.blogspot.com/2013/03/in-defense-of-scrambling.html

    In reply here I will say two things. First of all, for a more thorough treatment of this passage I suggest you read the commentaries of John Calvin and John Gill. They are both available free on the internet.

    Secondly I think you are confusing two things. While I believe that most of our young people should be married, this post was speaking of how those that are seeking spouses should act. Thus verses about being celibate don't apply. They may help us decide whether to be celibate, but they don't tell us how to act once we decide not to be celibate.

    In Him,
    Vaughn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well thanks for talking about it Though the first two sections on verses I quoted are form the same passage that you quoted when you defended scrambling so I don't see how you can say they don't apply to this.

    ReplyDelete